Lie! Pretend you weren't asking him out.

Chris threw his hands up in the air. "Wait, wait. Did you... did you think I was asking you out??"

"You mean you weren't?" Jonny asked with wide eyes.

"God, no."

"Oh. I am so sorry." Jonny's cheeks began to turn red, and he tried to hide a little.

"It's fine," Chris said. Then, with a painfully fake laugh, he added, "Could you imagine if I asked you out? Ha! Us... going out on a date.. Ha. That's a laugh."

"That would be pretty weird," Jonny agreed.

Chris nodded along, and for a few minutes afterward they were both silent.

"Well," Chris finally said, "I best be heading out now, I think. Got a long day ahead of me."

"See you tomorrow, man," Jonny smiled.

Chris returned the smile halfheartedly, then slowly made his way out the door. He began to walk back to his apartment, feeling very down and almost lost. But along the way, something laying on the ground caught his eye.

See what it is!
Keep walking.