The Beginning

Chris walked down the sidewalk, hands shoved deep in his pockets. He was on his way to the small convenience store on the corner. He went there almost every morning, and usually bought one or two really, really small things. He never actually needed anything from the store, but the boy behind the counter had become something of a friend to him. And he didn't have many other friends.

"You know, if you didn't always buy something, I'd think you were just here to see me," the boy joked. Chris laughed, bowed his head nervously, and shuffled his feet a bit.

"Why would I come just to see you?" he asked, playing along.

"Maybe because if I like you well enough, I can get you a ten percent discount."

Chris raised his head and narrowed his eyes at the boy. "You can not!"

"No, I can't," the boy admitted. "So, then, why would you come just to see me?"

Chris mentally told himself not to blush, but he wasn't thoroughly convinced that it worked. "Well, Jonny, for starters, you're a much better conversationalist than my wall is."

"I don't doubt that."

"And then there's the fact that..."

"The fact that what?" Jonny asked.

"Well, I don't know," Chris said. "I just get lonely sometimes, and you're good company." He looked up at Jonny, trying to hide what was behind his eyes. "That's all."

"Yeah, I know what you mean," Jonny said, his voice sounding more sad and sincere than it had before. "I get lonely, too."


What is that, some kind of hint or something? Ask him out!
Shhhh, don't say anything. People get lonely sometimes, it's not like he's trying to tell you anything.